Free Early Literacy Screening
Approximately 20% of the population struggles to learn to read and write. Research shows that early intervention is the best intervention. Yet, it can be difficult to determine if your child needs support at a young age. Often psychologists cannot diagnose dyslexia until Grade 2 or 3, after the child has experienced school failure.
To support families, we are now offering a free parent package which includes a parent workshop paired with early literacy screening.
If you have a child that is between the ages of 4-7 years old, join us! (If your child is older than 7 years old, please click here.)
Please note: literacy screening is a preventative measure, but it is not a formal diagnosis. Recommended steps that parents can take to support their child will be explored during the parent workshop.
Free Parent Workshop & Early Literacy Screening
This free package includes the following:
- An hour long workshop on early literacy development, followed by half-hour Q & A (via Zoom on select dates)
- Completion of an early literacy screening, debrief of results with one of our experts, recommendations for support and suggested next steps (half hour in-person)
Note: Capacity will be limited to 12 families per session. Families who we are unable to accommodate will be placed on a waitlist for future sessions.
Spring Session– THIS SESSION IS FULL
- Online Workshop: April 23, 2024 – 6:30 to 8:00 pm
- In-person Screening: April 26, 2024 – between 2:00 – 5:00 pm (plan for a 30 minute time slot)
- Speaks later than same age peers
- Difficulty pronouncing words (pasghetti instead of spaghetti)
- Slow to add new vocabulary
- Has difficulty with rhyming
- Trouble learning the alphabet and writing their own name
- Unable to follow multi-step directions or routines
Best practice in dyslexia remediation suggests early intervention is key to the development of successful readers and writers. Taking a “wait and see approach,” often leads to reduced self-esteem and other social-emotional troubles. The longer you wait, the larger the skills gap grows.
If you have any questions about early literacy screening, please contact us.
This literacy screening is available due to the generosity of Meredith Kaufman.