Located in Vancouver, BC’s Kitsilano neighbourhood, Fraser Academy is a leader in the field of education for students in grades 1-12 with language-based learning and processing disabilities, including dyslexia.
With a maximum of 10 students per class, the school follows the BC Ministry of Education curriculum. An impressive 90% of Fraser Academy grads go onto post-secondary education.
Fraser Academy is an accredited member of the Canadian Accredited Independent Schools (CAIS), the Independent Schools Association of British Columbia (ISABC), the International Dyslexia Association (IDA) and the Federation of Independent Schools Association (FISA).
Fraser Academy is seeking a permanent full-time Middle/Senior Learning Specialist to join our team of educators in the 2019/20 school year.
Fraser Academy is a fully-accredited day school, which focuses on educating students in Grades 2-12 with language-based learning disabilities. These students are taught in small class sizes with up to ten students. Each student receives one-to-one language training daily and works with a variety of subject specialist teachers.
As a member of the Learning Services team and an Orton Gillingham trained educator, you will be involved in creating individualized student learning plans and designing and implementing lessons to build literacy, executive functioning and cognitive processing for students with learning differences such as dyslexia. This role requires someone who can demonstrate excellence in instructional practices and who has a passion for remedial education.
Position Type: Permanent, Full-time
Reports to: Director of Learning Services
- Work 1:1 with students in the Junior or Middle & Senior School
- Design and implement middle & senior lessons following tenets of Orton Gillingham and mediated learning
- Create individual student learning plans based on student IEP/profile
- Facilitate individualized instruction of Executive Function curriculum
- Complete regular reports, year plans, and contribute to IEP’s
- Supervise groups of children during recess, lunch, and/or after school
- Participate in professional development opportunities
- Integrate fully in school life
- Provide a structured, flexible, enthusiastic learning experience for students
- Thrive in a collaborative, supportive team environment
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- An active commitment to ongoing professional growth
- Exemplary communication (oral and written) and interpersonal skills (students, colleagues, and parents)
- Orton Gillingham Certification
- 4 Year Bachelor’s Degree
- 2 year’s experience working with students with learning differences
- English degree an asset
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to Colleen Chow, Director of Learning Services: email@example.com. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Thank you for your interest. We look forward to hearing from you.